Thursday, March 29, 2007

two beetles, or, color vs. black and white





This is an original, one-of-a-kind ACEO ("Art Card, Edition and Original").

This work was inspired by Etsy Creative Challenge #44: "This week's challenge is using the spring color chart ... create something using the color lime from the chart. You can pair it with another color from the chart, use it alone, or pair it with whatever color you want." The color chart is a 2007 Spring-Summer color forecast guide used by jewelers.

"But lime isn't in my color palette," I thought. "Lime is out of my comfort zone." And so on.

Hence this piece. I chose something specifically notoriously colorful -- beetles (also a first for me) -- and rendered them in black and white (which is something I am very comfortable doing), and created the color palette on the back with what is "my" palette -- Pantone Chips. The colors I chose in addition to Lime are Petal Pink, Cloud, Silver Cloud, and Cafe au Lait. I think I even got some Imperial Purple in there as well.

~~~

Pen & ink and Pantone Color Chips on 140 lb Canson watercolor paper.

The back will be initialed and dated by the artist.

3.5 x 2.5 inches (standard ACEO size) with rounded corners.

Completed 03.28.07

S O L D