Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Etsy Traveling Collaborative Journal

Started and overseen by Etsy sellers Stellaloella and DecadenceDesigns, "The Etsy traveling journal is mail-art project. A handmade journal is passed from one Etsian to another, via the mail. Each participant gets a full spread in the journal to create, embellish, draw, paint, write, whatever they want. Then they pass it along to the next person until the entire book is filled. ... Each book starts as a medium-format, hardcover blank sketch book. It will come with a companion writing journal to include your thoughts and experiences on the project.

The finished books will be donated to the Library at the Etsylabs in NYC. We will have this blog set up to track the progress of the book, updated with images of each spread: http://etsyjournal.blogspot.com/ " (quote taken from the journal blog site).

I am lucky enough to have had a chance to participate. My collage is in Book 2, pages 11-12.




My comments in the companion journal:

OUT OF THE BLUE

The traveling journal arrived just a couple weeks shy of my five month Etsy 'anniversary.' Since signing up for this project I have wondered what I would create when my turn came.

Last fall, essentially out of the blue, I began drawing hummingbirds using colored pencils and acrylics, and pairing them with haiku assembled from text cut from old books. In December I opened my shop in order to sell these drawings. Over the five months of running my shop I have striven to create artwork as often as possible. My media and subject matter have increased and diversified.

This collage includes a pen & ink drawing of a hummingbird perched on a cloud in the semi-abstract style I have developed. It includes an ACEO with a cut-paper haiku -- I have found making ACEOs in all kinds of mixed-media quite addictive. And finally, it includes a photograph called "Blue Shadows" that I took in San Francisco. Photographs are the newest addition to my shop.

These pages represent my evolution as an artist, and the outlook I try to uphold -- do something creative every day.